Butternut Squash Soup w/ Buffalo Chex Mix (V & GF)
Hold on - wait a minute...BUFFALO CHEX MIX AND VEGAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP! Does it get any better than that!?
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
1 Large butternut squash
2 Medium apples
1 white or yellow onion
2-4 Garlic cloves (peeled)
1 tbsp. Olive oil
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper (optional)
4 c. Vegetable broth
1 c. Buffalo Chex Mix
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel, deseed, and roughly chop the butternut squash into large cubes/ chunks (~1 inch pieces).
Note: Don't forget to compost the peel and seeds because "producing uneaten food squanders a whole host of resources--seeds, water, energy, land, fertilizer, hours of labor, financial capital--and generates greenhouse gases at every stage--including methane when organic matter lands in the global rubbish bin" (Drawdown by Paul Hawken. P. 42).
2) Lay the squash on a baking sheet (or in a cast iron pan).
3) Roughly chop the apples and onion.
Note: There is no need to peel the apple, it will taste better with it on and produce less waste!
4) Add the apples, onion, and peeled garlic to the pan.
5) Next, drizzle on the olive oil, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
6) Bake for forty minutes or until golden brown and soft. Remove the baking sheet (or cast iron pan) from the oven and let the mixture cool.
7) While the squash is baking make the Buffalo Chex Mix.
8) Begin adding 1/4 of the squash mixture and 1 cup of the broth to a blender. Blend for 1-2 minutes each time. Continue this process four times.
9) Either reheat the mixture in a large pot on the stove top or serve in bowls as you blend.
10) Top each bowl with the Buffalo Chex Mix.
11) Store in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for multiple months (2-3).
Serving Size: 4