Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chai Frosting
This bread is insanely moist and flavorful. It is the perfect seasonal dessert for autumn or winter.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Bake Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 1 hour + cooling
1 stick (1/2 c.) Plant-based butter (or regular butter)
+ 1 tsp. Plant-based butter for greasing the baking dish
3/4 c. Light brown sugar
1 1/2 c. All-purpose flour (or gluten free all-purpose flour)
1 1/2 c. Pumpkin puree
1 tbsp. Vanilla extract
2 Eggs (or Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer)
1 1/4 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
3/4 tsp. Salt
1 stick (1/2 c.) plant-based butter (or regular butter)
1 1/2 c. Powdered sugar
1/2 c. Light brown sugar
2 tbsp. Cocoa powder
2 tbsp. Plant milk (or regular milk)
2 tsp. Cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp. Ginger powder
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg powder
1/4 tsp. All spice
3 tbsp. Sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a large bowl (or stand mixer) combine 1 stick plant-based butter (option to melt in the microwave for 30 seconds), 3/4 c. light brown sugar, 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 c. pumpkin puree, 1 tbsp. vanilla extract, 2 eggs, 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, and 3/4 tsp. salt. Use a whisk and mix the ingredients together evenly (or mix in the stand mixer for 3-5 minutes).
3) Add 1 tsp. of plant-based butter to a bread pan (8x4). Grease the bread pan with the butter and a reusable napkin (or paper towel).
4) Transfer the bread batter to the bread pan and bake for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes take a tooth pick or fork and insert it into the middle of the bread. If it comes out clean than the bread is ready to be taken out of the over. If it comes out with batter stuck to it, bake for another 5-10 minutes. Once the bread is done baking set aside to cool and begin making the frosting.
1) Chop 1 stick of plant-based butter into small cubes.
2) Transfer the butter to a stand mixer bowl.
3) Next, combine all of the frosting ingredients in the bowl: 1 1/2 c. powdered sugar, 1/2 c. light brown sugar, 2 tbsp. cocoa powder, and 2 tbsp. plant milk (or regular milk). Blend the ingredients together for 3 minutes (or until the frosting is evenly whipped).
4) Once the bread is cool use a knife to frost the loaf.
1) In a small bowl whisk together all of the chai spice ingredients: 2 tsp. cinnamon powder, 1/2 tsp. ginger powder, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg powder, 1/4 tsp. all spice, and 3 tbsp. Sugar.
2) Once the bread has been frosted, sprinkle the chai spice on top and slice into 10 pieces.
Serving Size: 10 slices