Roasted "Cheesy" Acorn Squash (V, GF, & SF made with Everything Cheeze)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
1 Acorn squash (chopped with the skin to limit food waste)
2 tbsp. Olive oil
1-2 tbsp. Fresh sage (chopped)
2 tbsp. Sustainable vegan butter (melted)
2 tbsp. Water
1/2 tsp. Red wine salt (or regular salt)
1/4 c. Everything Cheeze (V, GF, SF)
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2) Wash and dry the acorn squash.
3) Cut the acorn squash in half. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and then compost them.
4) Cut the acorn squash into ~1/2 inch chunks. (I slice the squash into long pieces and then dice them into chunks). Transfer the squash to a cast iron pan (or a baking sheet).
5) Drizzle 2 tbsp. of olive oil on the squash.
6) Take 1-2 tbsp. of fresh sage (chose the quantity based on on how potent you want the flavor to be) and layer the leaves on top of each other. Next, roll the leaves into a cylinder. Then, use a sharp knife to thinly slice the sage. Finally, sprinkle the freshly sliced sage on to the squash.
FUN FACT: Did you know that sage is a perennial herb! What does that mean? Once you plant sage it will grow back in the same spot every year. The maintenance is very minimal. You typically prune the plant once a year. I like to prune perennials at the beginning of a new season when the leaves and stems of a plant are dried and easy to scrap off with your hands, creating space for new growth! Not to mention, pruning plants after a long and cold winter is better for beneficial insects. Yes, insects need homes too and without them we wouldn't have food! They are necessary for pollination, just like birds and bats. Insects typically reside in brush and plant debris over the winter.
7) Melt 2 tbsp. of vegan butter and drizzle it on the squash.
8) Add 2 tbsp. of water.
9) Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. of red wine salt (or regular salt) on to the squash and mix up the squash.
10) Bake for 40-45 minutes.
11) Top the dish with 1/4 c. of Everything Cheeze.
12) Enjoy warm and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Serving Size: 4-6 (depends on what else you are serving)