Russet Potato Gnocchi
Prep Time: 20-30 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour & 10-20 Minutes
5 russet potatoes
2 tsp. Salt (for the water)
2 c. flour (+ more to kneed dough ~1/4 c.)
2 eggs (whisked)
1 head of broccoli (optional)
1) In a large pot bring 8 cups of water to a boil (add the salt). Add the potatoes and boil them for 40 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the water and let the cool for 5-10 minutes. Peel the skin off with your hands and compost the peels.
2) Make the Butter and Sage Sauce while the potatoes are boiling.
Option to roast 1 head of raw broccoli (no seasonings or oil) in the oven at 400 degrees for 35 minutes to add to your dish. It enhances the dish with a charred flavor.
3) Use a potato masher to begin processing the dough. Mash the potatoes for 3 minutes or until all the chunks are gone.
4) Add 2 c. of flour and 2 whisked eggs to the mashed potatoes and start working the dough with your hands. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes.
5) Divide the dough into 6 parts and roll it into a long rope. Cut 1/2 inch thick pieces to form your gnocchi. Make sure they are well floured when combining all of the pieces in a bowl so they do not stick together. Continue this process until all of the dough has been processed.
6) Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the fresh gnocchi to the water and boil until all of the pieces float to the top, this should take about 2-5 minutes. Stir the cooked gnocchi and butter and sage sauce together. If you made broccoli add it in during this step.
Serving Size: 6