Vegan Chive Pesto Avocado Rolls
Total Time: ~3 hours w/ rise time
2 tsp. Yeast
2/3 c. Warm water
3 1/3 c. All-purpose flour (extra flour for kneading/ rolling)
2 tsp. Salt
4 tbsp. Vegan butter (melt in microwave 20-30 seconds)
1 tsp. Vegan butter (grease baking dish/ bowl when rising)
2 tbsp. Olive oil
1 c. Vegan Chive Pesto
1) Stir 2 tsp. yeast into 1/3 c. warm water and let sit for 5 minutes.
2) Measure out 3 1/3 c. flour, 2 tsp. salt, and 4 tbsp. melted vegan butter in a stand mixer bowl. Mix using the dough hook on a low speed for 2 minutes.
3) Then, mash the avocado with 1/3 c. warm water. With the stand mixer running at low speed, add the mashed avocado and water to the ingredients already in the bowl. Mix for 2 minutes.
4) Next add the yeast and water mixture. Mix together for 2 minutes.
5) Remove the dough from the mixer and place on a floured surface. Knead the dough by hand for 5 minutes and then let it rise in a greased bowl for 1 hour (I use 1/2 tsp. of vegan butter for the grease and a reusable napkin to apply the butter).
6) While the dough is rising make the Vegan Chive Pesto.
7) After 1 hour the dough should double in size. Sprinkle extra flour on the surface where you will roll out the dough. Roll the dough into 14 x 12 rectangle. Smear 1 c. of the chive pesto all over one side of the dough. Then, roll the dough towards using your hands forming a large log. Use a knife to cut nine 1 inch thick slices of the log.
8) Grease a pie pan with 1/2 tsp. of vegan butter and a reusable napkin and place the rolls inside the pan. Let the rolls rise for another 45 minutes.
9) During this time, preheat the oven to 375. After 45 minutes the rolls should be fluffy. Bake for 20 minutes.
10) Remove the rolls from the oven and use a basting brush to coat the rolls with 2 tbsp. olive oil. Enjoy warm!
Serving Size: 9